Accessibility Insights is a free accessibility testing tool provided by Microsoft. Here are the general steps to use the tool to test for accessibility:
- Download and install Accessibility Insights: The tool is available as a browser extension for Chrome and Edge, or as a desktop application for Windows. Choose the version that works best for you and install it.
- Choose the type of accessibility test: The tool offers three types of accessibility tests - FastPass, Assessment, and Ad hoc. FastPass is a quick test that checks for common accessibility issues. Assessment is a comprehensive test that checks for a wide range of accessibility issues. Ad hoc allows you to test specific elements on a page.
- Run the accessibility test: Once you have chosen the type of test, run it by clicking on the appropriate button. The tool will analyze the page and generate a report on accessibility issues.
- Review the report: The report will provide a list of accessibility issues and remediation suggestions. The issues are grouped by severity level (high, medium, low) to help prioritize which issues to address first.
- Fix the issues: Once you have reviewed the report, you can start addressing the accessibility issues. The remediation suggestions provided by the tool can be a helpful guide.
- Re-test: After making changes to the page, re-run the accessibility test to verify that the issues have been fixed.